Altofonte
Part of The Encyclopedia of Southern Italy.
Altofonte (formerly Parco)(Sic. Parcu) >(PA): An agricultural center and commune in the province of Palermo. Area: 35.27 km². Alt. 350 m. CAP: 90030. Tel. Pref.: 091. Geographical Coordinates: Lat 38°2’35″16 N/Long 13°17’49″56 E. Population Information: (2001); 8,276 (1991). % Change in Population from 1991 to 2001: . Population Density (2001): / km². Inhabitants Designation: Altafontini.
Location & Setting: It is located 12 km SW of Palermo, it is situated on the S slopes of the Conca d’Oro. Part of Regione Agraria n. 6 – Colline interne – Colline dell’Eleuterio.
History: The town’s former name, Parco, derived from its location at the S end of a park developed for King Roger II. The old royal hunting lodge was the core around which the town grew up. In 1307 the lodge was converted into a Capuchin monastery. In 1931 the town’s name was changed to Altofonte. Major earthquakes were felt here in 1940 and 1968.
Points of Interest: The principal monument is the Chiesa Madre. The present structure dates mostly from a 1618 rebuilding by the Abbot, Cardinal Scipio Borghese. Of the original Norman lodge there survives a royal chapel (originally an oratory) with a cupola roof raised on a small tower at the E end and a gallery at the W end. This chapel has a single nave and apse. Looking N from this chapel it is possible to view the whole of the former royal park.
On a hill above the Chiesa Madre is an obelisk monument dedicated to Garibaldi.