Aragona

Part of The Encyclopedia of Southern Italy.

Aragona >(AG): A commune (area: 74.43 km². Alt. 482 m) in the province of Agrigento. Located 17 km NNE of Agrigento, it is situated in a hilly area on the eastern slope of Monte S. Marco, between the rivers Platani and Salso. Population: 9,730 (2007e); 9,840 (2006e); 10,065 (2001); 10,416 (1991); 12,689 (1961). The economy is based on the cultivation of almonds, olives, wheat, grapes, vegetables and pistachio. Sulfur mining is also important. Parts of the commune are also devoted to livestock breeding (cattle, sheep).

History: Built in 1605/6 by Count Baldassare Naselli of Comiso, who named it for his mother Beatrice d’Aragona Branciforti, its best-known monument is the great palace built there by its feudal princes. In 1615, Luigi Naselli received the title of Prince of Aragona by the Spanish king Philip IV.

                Major earthquakes were felt here in 1905 and 1968.

Points of Interest: The earliest of the town’s buildings date from the 17th century.

                The church of Mercede dates from 1623.

                The church of the Carmine is an 18th century structure.

                The 17th century Chiesa Madre houses an interesting 18th century crèche (presepio) scene with life-size statues.

                The Baroque 18th century church of the Purgatorio is best known for the magnificent staircase leading to its entrance.

Near the town are the Vulcanelli di Macalube (from the Arabic maqlub = upsetting), a group of small (averaging 0.5 to 1 meter in height), conical, mud-volcanoes. These continuously bubbling white-mud spouts release hot mud and discharges of methane gas and carbonic anhydride. Highly flammable, the gas often ignites spectacularly. The nearby Majaruca Spring is notable for the curative properties of its waters.

Culture: The festival of the patron saint, San Calogero, is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday in August.

← Back to the Aq – Az page