Butera
Part of The Encyclopedia of Southern Italy.
Butera (CL): A commune (area: 296.53 km²; alt. 402 m) in the province of Caltanissetta. Located 55 km SE of Caltanissetta, it is situated on a high, steep hill to the right of the torrent Comunelli, overlooking the W portion of the fertile Piana di Gela. Population: 5,120 (2006e); 5,673 (1991). The local economy is based on sulfur-mining.
History: The site of the town was first occupied by an ancient Sikan settlement during the Late Bronze and Iron Ages. They were the earliest members of that race to come into conflict with Greek colonists who, in c689 BC, had founded Gela, located about 20 km to the SE. Scholars believe that this early settlement was the Omphake, a town mentioned by Pausanias (8.46.3) as having been conquered by Antiphemus, the Greek leader of Gela.
In AD 853 it was besieged and captured by the Saracens who held it until 1089. After the Normans conquest of Sicily the town became a fief of the Aleramici family. Under the succeeding Swabian dynasty, Butera came under the control of the Lancia family. When Charles I of Anjou seized the Kingdom of Naples, Butera became a royal holding, remaining so until the outbreak of the Sicilian Vespers revolt. The Aragonese kings of Sicily established Butera as the seat of a county and it passed through the hands of a number of noble families. In 1563, after Sicily became part of the Spanish Empire, King Philip II raised it to the status of a principality, awarding it to the Brancifonte family. The title of prince of Butera came to acknowleged as the chief noble on Sicily. In 1805, Butera passed passed back to the Lancia family as part of the dowry of Stefania Branciafonte in her marriage to Giuseppe Lancia of Trabia. The Lancia retained control only until 1812 when feudalism was finally eliminated on Sicily.
Points of Interest: The site of a large ancient Sikan-Greek necropolis is located at Piano della Fiera, located to the N of the town. The lowest, or earliest, of the sites levels is comprised of cave-tombs called grotticella. Dating from the 8th to early 7th centuries BC, the grave goods found in these included locally made pottery decorated with painted or incised designs, and bronze fibulae and razors. These goods show little Greek influence at this time. The second oldest level, dating from the second half of the 7th century BC, shows significantly greater Greek influences thanks to the foundation of Gela. Several hundred graves are on this level and are a combination of both Greek and Sikan tombs, including a large dolmen tomb. The natives who utilized the necropolis at this time practiced both inhumation and cremation. It appeared to be a common practice at this time to partially cremate the body and preserve the severed heads in vases. Grave goods include local pottery as well as Greek artifacts of Protocorinthian and Geloan types. The destruction of the Sikan community is indicated by the fact that no graves have been discovered containing Corinthian, Ionic or Attic ware. The use of the necropolis was not resumed for about three centuries later with the third level dating to the 2nd half of the 4th century BC. This appears to correspond with the Greek revival intitiated in Sicily by Timoleon. The burials on this level consist of monuments with stepped entrances and topped by epitymbia columns. They graves contain goods including Sicilian red-figure ware. The graves of the highest level indicate that the town had fallen on difficult economic times. Grave goods (including unpainted alabastra) from these 3rd Century BC graves are of significantly poorer quality.
Excavations made on the slopes of the hill below the modern town have revealed some protohistoric Sikan huts and a Hellenistic building. As with the necropolis, no evidence has been found here dating from the same three century period between the late 7th and late 4th centuries BC.
Near Fontana Calda, beside the torrent Comunelli, are the remains of an ancient rural sanctuary. The patron deity of the sanctuary appears to have been Polystephanos Theo, identified as a local version of the Greek goddess Artemis. The votive offerings found here consist of figurines with hunting bows and hounds. These offerings indicate the sanctuary was first used during the archaic period, and was at its height in the second half of the 4th century BC. Evidence shows that the sanctuary remained in use well into Roman imperial times.
Remains of ancient Greek farmsteads have been identified at several sites throughout the commune including Fiume di Mallo, Priorato, Milingiana, and S. Giuliano. Several Roman graves connected with ancient farms and villages have also been found near the Abbey of Suor Marchesa.
The principal monument of the town itself is an 11th century castle.
The Chiesa Madre contains a fine Renaissance triptych, and a Madonna painted by Filippo Paladino (c1544-1614).
Several artifacts from the commune of Butera are located at the National Museum of Gela.